It's amazing what a difference a little swoosh of mascara makes - I feel naked without it!
But isn't it annoying when you reach for your favourite mascara and discover it's turned into one big dry, clumpy mess? 😢
Well friends (…drum roll please!), below👇 I share a little-known beauty trick that can help give your mascara a new lease of life…
…and add a few more precious days of wear! 🤩
Sadly, all mascaras have an expiration date (usually three months from opening), so if you're using a mascara older than this, you could expose eyes to possible bacteria/eye infections 👁
Another tell-tale sign your mascara is an 'old gal', is the bristles – are they worn, with little product on…or has the texture changed?
These are all signs your mascara is officially old! 🙅♀️
But sometimes mascaras can dry out before their 'time' is up – and this is where I hope to help! 🌟
There a a two things that can cause your mascara to dry out before it's time...
1. Over pumping
Moving the wand in and out of the mascara in quick succession (known as 'pumping') can cause mascaras to dry out quicker than their shelf life! Too much air seeps into the tube and oxidizes the mascara, causing it to dry out faster.
Instead of pumping the wand try twisting the mascara in the tube, to get a good coating onto the wand, because this could help prolong the life-span of your mascara!
2. Not entirely shutting the mascara
Leaving the mascara open (even just a little bit!), can let air and heat into the mascara, causing it to evaporate and dry up.
Always make sure you tightly seal the mascara as best you can!
Suppose your mascara needs reviving – don't panic! I have two easy ways to bring them back to life! 👍
Either way should help give your mascara a little kick start, but if your mascara feels like a lost cause, then try using both techniques (saved for major emergencies!).
What You'll Need:
• Your mascara
• Boiling water and a cup
1. Boil the kettle and pour the hot water into a cup.
2. Place your dried-out mascara in the water (be careful not to fully submerge the top of the mascara).
3. The hot water will loosen the consistency after about 5 minutes.
This tip is only a quick-fix solution, it will need to be repeated every time you apply mascara, but it will buy you a few extra days of use! 💕
What You'll Need:
• Your mascara
• Contact lens solution (saline)
1. Remove the wand from your mascara and take your bottle of contact lens solution (saline) – can be purchased at most drug stores.
2. Squeeze in 1 to 2 drops (only) into the mascara tube. The trick is to do a little at a time because adding too much can make your mascara too runny, so go easy!
3. Replace the wand and give it a little wiggle to mix the solution in.
4. Try the consistency on the back of your hand. If it's still a little dry, then add a drop or two more.
Ta-daah… you've just earned yourself a few more days back of your favourite mascara! 👏
Just remember, if your mascara has dried out because it's an old mascara – don't take any chances and bin it! 🙅♀️👁
But, if it just needs a little extra TLC, then I hope my tips above will help!
Discover how I like to wear my mascara!
If you want to see how I love to wear my mascara for maximum effect, take a look here.
I hope you've learned something new from these little beauty tricks…
…and feel good knowing you've just saved a mascara's life! 💖
Plus, scroll down to discover even more tips that I think you'll love below!👇